View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

rattlesnakes are extremely venomous. i had no idea just how deadly rattlers are until about a year or two ago. i associated them with copperheads and water moccasins and coral snakes, you don't want to get bite but it's not like you were bitten by a mamba or cobra.

coral snakes have a neuro toxin but their teeth are in the back of their mouths and very short. both of these limit the danger tho it is a dangerous snake. coral snakes are rather shy and will avoid people.

moccasins are probably more dangerous than copperheads, both have hemo toxic venom. better to not be bitten but the copperhead is the lesser of the 2 evils.

rattlesnakes have long fangs and they inject venom deep and a lot of it. it is a hemo toxic venom. rattlers are a very aggressive and powerful snake. i'm not a herpotologist but i'm sure they are the most dangerous and deadly of the 4 venomous snakes in the us. there are many different rattlesnakes but there are types in the southwest that are more deadly than here in the northeast. a rattlesnake bite is a very serious and life threatening event.

as mentioned, a baby is often more dangerous than an adult for the reason stated. also an adult may meter the venom used where a juvenile may not know to do that.

venomous snakes often do a "dry bite". this is where they bite you but do not inject venom. i have read this is 20% of the time but i'm not sure if rattlers can be trusted to adhere to that, it might apply to the other 3 more so. a dry bite is for protection because they can't eat you therefore they don't want to use/waste venom on you. you can't tell a dry bite from a real on until the problems start which may be relatively short like 10 minutes? not sure about that but all bites should be considered a real bite.

never saw a rattler and they are not common here anymore but they are in this state. i tolerate snakes but a venomous one would really worry me especially for my dog tho craig has said and i believe him that dogs are immune to copperhead bites. a rattler would have to be dispatched but a gun is the safest way to do it, a 20 guage would be perfect at about 10'. more people are bitten trying to kill a snake than any other way.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote