Thread: J&L Gardens
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2011   #8
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure what the problem is regarding Lee's Sweet....

Chianti Rose is said to be of Brandywine descent. So what is the harm in saying one place that the tomato is "out of brandywine" and then saying the specific parents? They are both correct.

I can tell you that the plant is drastically out-performing the other tomatoes in its bed, which are Omar's Lebanese, Boxcar Willie, Aunt Ginny's Purple, and KBX x GZ. It is pumping out huge flowers and heart shaped fruit like nobody's business. I'm positive that this one is a winner.

As far as Ambrosia is concerned, as I understand it, it was selected (now in F5 I believe) from a Sungold grow-out. It is more productive and earlier (for myself) than Sungold. I will be able to comment on flavor very soon, but can say that this plant is LOADED with huge clusters. Seems like every flower in every truss has birthed a tomato.

It also has the same signature smell to the foliage. Can't wait to taste it.

Not sure what's up with the blue tomato pics though. I would go ahead and order your seeds from Lee. He clearly knows tomatoes, and aside from a potential picture mix-up, there is no reason to distrust him.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote