View Single Post
Old May 6, 2011   #12
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

I planted 2 Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes from the store. If I had planned better I would have started a different cherry myself. Everything else in my garden I started from seed. Seems like the best way to go, particularly after reading some horror stories here.

Tuk50, I'm afraid you're right. We'll be into the 100's or close pretty much from now on. I'm in a cold/hot spot here. Lows at my house get colder than reported for "Glendale," and highs usually a bit warmer. I've triple checked my thermometers. High here today was 102. Good news is more tomatoes have set since I checked on May 1. I'm still shaking the plants several times a day.

Since this is my first year growing indeterminates, and most are supposed to grow rather large size tomatoes, I'm not sure what to expect. How late do they tend to continue setting and producing before the heat ruins things?

Desertlzbn, nice pics. I envy how much garden area you have. I'd probably grow 70 tomato plants too if I had that much room. Why not? Now, 70 zucchini plants, I'd label you a complete wacko.

I'll be picking my first zucchini tomorrow. This year I'm growing heirloom zucchini from Stover, labeled simply "Dark Green Zucchini." Not very descriptive. I had a hard time getting the seeds to sprout, which is unusual, and they are dated 2010.

It's different from what I usually grow (whatever seed packets local nurseries or box stores have available). So far, it doesn't have any of that white tinge on the leaves, which IIRC I read some time ago is a genetic trait that becomes expressed in response to bug damage, or something odd like that. It's not powdery mildew.

Anyway, these things have huge orange flowers. My zuc flowers were usually more yellow. These are orange and a good 5-6" across when fully open. If it tastes good and works well, I'll save some seeds.

I partially ringed my little zucchini bed with nasturtiums, which supposedly help repel squash bugs. Every year, without fail, they've come in and eventually killed my plants. Usually, by then I'm so sick of zucchini I don't really care. But this is an experiment.
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote