View Single Post
Old April 3, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Mary,

After looking at your photo more closely, a couple of recommendations.

I see that your "builder" used 4 bolts to attach the Aeration Bench to the outer container, rather than the 2 bolts as per the Construction Guide. I did a "stress test" when doing the new design with NO BOLTS and filled the test Aeration Bench (without holes) to a 175 pounds of dead weight water:

I also did the same test with the recommended 2 bolts (bottom one in the picture):

The placement of the 2 bolts was carefully selected to keep as much of an air gap around the walls of both containers, for best aeration:

By placing the 4 bolts where you did, it compresses the side walls together. Not only does this cut down on the aeration, but the double-hull effect is compromised in trying to keep the Sun's warmth isolated like a thermos bottle. If your "builder" is absolutely convinced he must have 4 bolts, then have him place the other 2 new ones under the handles where the surfaces are flush with each other.

Next, I notice the rim of the wicking basket is ABOVE the Aeration Bench. It needs to be installed below the Aeration Bench so when you fill the wicking basket mounding it up 1 to 2 inches, then lay the Landscape Fabric on top, there will be no air gap that will be caused by the wicking basket protruding above the Aeration Bench as shown in your photo.

Sorry to be a "Drill Sergeant" on this stuff, but I want you to be a Happy Camper in harvesting a lot of vegetables later this Season.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote