View Single Post
Old March 31, 2011   #4
Gumbysqueak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Those seedlings already have the second set of leaves and are getting tall and leggy from what I see in the pic..Time to transplant. You want a soilless sterile potting mix, (which is what I transplant in..Organic..) or a lightweight sterile potting mix. Some people use Miracle Grow potting mix..

Use sterile, clean containers, to transplant in..
You want to plant your seedlinds deep all the way up to the second set of leaves. More roots will form along the stem, making a stronger plant when you set out. So make sure the containers are deep enough for that..

You want your soil mix to be slightly dampened when filling your containers..

Turn your pots upside down and gently ease the seedlings out. Separate each seedling gently try to get as much root as you can, and plant all the way up to the second set of leaves..

Place in full sun or under grow lights.. Keep warm, but not to hot..I grow mine in temps around 70 degrees or so.. You want the seedlings to grow strong and sturdy..Let the soil dry out between waterings..Stick your finger down in soil to check..

No need to use fertilizer on young seedlings, until transplanting out in the garden..but if you have yellowing of the leaves now, make sure it is not from overwatering..You might have a deficiency..In which case you can use a weak solution of fish emulsion..or some use a little M.G..

Good luck! nice pic's..
Thank you Barefootgardener! I never would have thought of planting them up to those leaves. I will pick up some containers and soil on my way home.
Gumbysqueak is offline   Reply With Quote