View Single Post
Old March 31, 2011   #1
Gumbysqueak
Tomatovillian™

Default Elmo Cherry Tomatoes

Hello all! I introduced myself and two year old BabyGumbysqueak on the welcome thread and now need some serious help.

BG: Granny bought a gardening "kit" for BabyGumbysqueak at Lowes... Including Elmo cherry tomato plant seeds and little planters. Hubby and I assumed they were dead but decided to try. I took old dirt from my flower pots stored in the garage and hubby dumped the whole pack of seeds into the six pots. I patted a thin layer of dirt, covered them with Tupperware and placed them upstairs since it slightly warmer (we keep the house at 64 when out and sleeping.) That was about two or three weeks ago. We now have a tomato invasion. Platys believes they intend to take over the household and make BabyGumbysqueak their prince.

Current: I lost about a third of the seedlings due to lack of light, water and possibly fertilizer? I really have no idea, my husband waters them each morning. They are upstairs in front of double east facing windows. I fertilized them once with random plant food found under our kitchen sink. Last night I counted 47 with the double "real" leaves.

Fwd: New Message by knittergail

They are my little babies now, so what do I do? Platys has me saving yogurt cups and Propel bottles to cut down. Do I need special dirt? They look kinda yellow, does that mean they need fertilizer? Colorado's frost isn't over until Mid May so we have weeks until I can adopt them out and plant them in our raised bed.

Last edited by Gumbysqueak; March 31, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Gumbysqueak is offline   Reply With Quote