View Single Post
Old March 28, 2011   #13
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Wow. Thanks for all of the positive feedback! I think I will skip trying to start my own and either pick up some plants from the local green house or order some from tomatobaby. I still haven't decided on what type of tomatoes to grow but I am leaning towards a Sungold as one of them. For the other, I am looking for a larger tomato that bites back a little. To answer Kat's question, I'm only doing one container this year. My wife is already looking at me funny. Nothing in the ground this year due to some upcoming septic work in the back yard this summer and the only sunny spots left are in the front yard.

Raybo - I will take a look at the mix again just to make sure. I'm pretty sure it is soil - free.

Thanks everyone!

Duke
Good choice!!! Tomatobabycompany is a wonderful source! She was very responsive and helpful last year (MY first year... after I drowned all my seedlings... repeatedly!) A warning, she likes to send "bonuses" so you might want to tell her you don't have ANY spare room, lol!

Looking at her list (which MAY still be last year's... not sure) I'm thinking for a large "red" (or at least not too strangely colored) you might consider: German Johnson, Mexico, NAR (Neves Azorean Red), Red Brandywine, and Cherokee Purple....

Perhaps someone with WAY MORE actual experience will peruse the list at the link above and offer some suggestions.

Also, check out Tatiana's Tomatobase if you haven't done so already... TONS of info and reviews and pics!!!Can't link to it at the moment, but will add a link later if I remember.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote