View Single Post
Old March 27, 2011   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Hi there and welcome to Tomatoville. I'm in NW Indiana - north of Valparaiso along the lake - and I'm in the middle of sowing my seeds. I hope to have them all done by the end of the week. You are NOT too late. In fact, I think it's the perfect time for our area. You may not have a chance to order seeds, but take a look at what your local greenhouse or garden center has. Our little GC has a nice selection of heirlooms and some trusty hybrids as well. Hopefully yours does too.

Your portable container will make it easy for you to move it in and out of cover until the nights are reliably warm. Even if it doesn't freeze, your tomato plants won't be too happy until mid-May - then they'll really take off.

In terms of varieties, it depends on what type of tomato you like and how many you're growing. Brandywine Sudduth is one of the best, but if you're only growing one of two plants, you'd be disappointed in its production. If you like cherry tomatoes, most folks agree that Sungold (hybrd) is one of the best. I hope some of the others here can weigh-in on what the commonly found heirloom varieties might be.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote