View Single Post
Old July 15, 2006   #10
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

I noticed something Craig posted under the thread Brad's Black Heart about a plant having fusarium and rather than mess up that thread thought this would be the appropriate place to ask a question.

Craig said:

"Well, my single plant of BBH is fighting gamely against a Fusarium attack. It has set a few definitely heart shaped fruit - my guess is that, if the plant survives and bears fruit, we are 2-3 weeks away from confirming the color and getting some seeds."

Why would you want to save seeds from a plant that has fusarium? I know on the other thread sources for fusarium were discussed and seed-borne was one of them. Unfortunately fermenting seeds does nothing for diseases within the seed only helps with those on the outside seed coat. I thought fusarium was one of the diseases that could be found within the seed--perhaps this is incorrect.

from Some Diseases of Vegetables and Agronomic Crops Caused by Fusarium in Florida (1992)

"This fungus can be seed borne. However this source of inoculum is not common. The importance of seed-borne inoculum relates to the potential for introducing new races from other areas of the world."

Craig , I know you are very experienced in growing heirloom tomatoes and I admire all your work so I don't mean this as a criticism. (edited--maybe these saved seeds are for your use only ) . I wouldn't want anybody to think fermentation alone takes care of ALL possible seed-related diseases and therefore that it is "OK" to save seeds from diseased plants.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote