View Single Post
Old March 21, 2011   #6
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Hopefully, the dual filter system I've now set up will go a long way to remove not only Chloramine, but other heavy metals and VOCs as well.

Raybo
On heavy metals, that would be lead and mercury, which the report shows none detected on that report, on the output columns. VOCs, there shouldn't be any in your tap water, if you had them and proved it, your water district would have a problem. The nitrate is barely more than detectable, and amounts to the tiniest of traces, could be much higher, and be undrinkable, and still wouldn't be enough to positively affect your plants, much less harm them. Haloacetic Acids are present, up to 21% of the allowable level but they can be removed, even 66% removal using a pitcher filter. THMs are as much as 58% of max, most filters remove those too, or even just storage in an open container for a day. The chloride in the water is around 20% of the aesthetic max, and most of that is from the source water, not added in treatment. Sulfate is less than 10% of the standard, dissolved solids around half.

I'm not sure what you are trying to remove besides the chloramine, that is even present in the water.
For hydroponics, and for water that's being used directly for mixing beneficial organisms, I can understand filtering, or if there was contamination of the water source, but when the chloramine hits dirt or soil, the chlorine in it quickly reacts with the particles in the soil, the amine is released, giving an infinitesimally small nitrogen boost in that top fraction of an inch of soil.
For disease control, as when newcastle disease was going around killing poultry, instructions were to spray equipment buildings etc with a certain solution of chlorine bleach, but it was pointless to spray the soil, because 1. the soil destroyed the effectiveness of the bleach instantly and 2. the virus couldn't survive in the soil, the other organisms in the soil basically ate it.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote