View Single Post
Old March 19, 2011   #11
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
Pretty much anything commercial and not organic though now has residue, harmful or not. Many fruits and some vegetables are sprayed with anti-fungal agents or anti-sprout agents, ripening retardation chemicals or coated with waxes.

I just have to consider that going through a good hot compost pile, or even one not so hot but being in it for a year, and then whatever is left being diluted when spread over the whole garden would have to be better than putting it directly under your plant. Many of the chemicals used on non-organic produce outside the US would be illegal in the US, but they can be used on produce that is then imported.
I see what you're saying. Is it better? Perhaps in some respects. But for practical reasons, why? Will burrying a banana in the hole produce an inferior tomato? Will that tomato actually contain any measurable amounts of said chemicals? Will their be any actual negative impact to the soil? If by some minute chance there was some actual measurable negative impact to the soil, to what extent would that be offset by the introduction of the organic matter as a benefit? See what I mean?
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote