Thread: False Economy!
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2011   #12
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I've used Miracle Grow Potting Mix to start seeds with no problem. Getting the water regiment right is the tricky part for most mixes.
I have to resist the tendency to overwater, especially with the little peat pots. They dry out very quickly and do best if they're sitting in a tray with no drain holes, allowing a LITTLE BIT of water to stand in the bottom. Under ideal conditions, the plant gets just the right amount of water through osmosis. If too much water bulds-up in the tray, though, you're dead meat!

I used to use the APS (automatic propagation system) 40 cell seed starters -http://www.gardeners.com/APS/APS_Cat,default,sc.html, which also waters by osmosis, but automatically with no errors - perfect amount of moisture all the time!. This is the best system I found in 50 years of gardening - delivers just the right amount of moisture automatically with a water reservoir and a capillary mat. Always optimum moisture as long as there's water in the reservoir, and works with any kind of starter mix.

I still have 15 of those units from my home gardening days and would love to use them now - I miss them big time!. Problem is, they're just not applicable when you need to start plants by the thousands - and there's no efficient way to accelerate germination with bottom heat. The soil temp will always equal the ambient temp, which means using them inside the house, and that's not a viable situation for me anymore - too dirty! I have to work in a cool greenhouse now and use bottom heating mats.

But for many of y'all, with your heirlooms and many varieties, the APS system would be perfect - as long as you have a large light tray in a heated room. Buy one and try it - you'll love it! Five of them will fit on a 48" light tray shelf. You can drape plastic over the tray and the heat from the flourescent tubes will bring it up to 80 - tomatoes will germinate in a 72 degree room, but it takes longer (4 days at 85)

They used to be 5 bucks a unit - last ones I bought about five years ago were $15 each, but they last for years and years. I have some that are probably 20 years old and still good.

I have no financial interest in that company.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote