Thread: False Economy!
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011   #5
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
We have been using Miracle-Gro potting mix as a starter medium for years. It's full of little sticks, that have to be picked out one by one, and it's the most expensive mix in Wally World's parking lot - 12 bucks + for 2 cu.ft. We had two bags left over from last year, which covered our early planting - as usual, perfect plants.

When we ran out, one of our church ladies who works in the garden shop at Wal-Mart, insisted that we save money by buying "Expert Gardener" potting mix, which she said was the same thing as regular MG mix and only $8.46 for 2 cu.ft. I was reluctant, but went with it under pressure from my wife.

You guessed it! It wasn't sterile and everything we started with it is damping-off and there's a white fungus growing everywhere, even on the outside of The trays! We got the first planting of 1500 toms in the ground with Miracle-Gro, but now I have to really hustle - clean everything with Clorox and replant. False Economy! I can get usable transplants in 4 weeks if I'm lucky, in time for the 2nd and third plantings, but only with double labor and wasted money. Grrrrrr!!

Jack
Maybe try b54red's Clorox treatment on them? Could be less work.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote