View Single Post
Old March 7, 2011   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

It seems everybody is jumping on the Myco Band Wagon. I too am leary of companies that don't divulge the ingredients of their products. Saying they are proprietary indicates to me they are trying to hide something.

Quote:
When comparing on product and price I see a problem as in comparing apples and oranges.
Biota Max doesn't provide any mycorrhizae itself, from the fungal ingredients I only see only 4 Trichoderma species which function as bio-fungicides. Their whole formulation including the bacteria is more anti-pathogen than anything else.
What you don't realize is Bacteria also play a role in growth of the plant and are Microbial Biofertilizers as well. This is why the Biota Max/MycoGrow soluable combination make such a good team. Here is a discription of just one of the bacteria used in Biota Max.

Quote:
One of the Bacteria in Biota Max that is interesting is Paenibacillus polymyxa. Quoting from Handbook Of Microbial Biofertilizers "P. polymyxa may possess a great variety of properties that are of interest in the development of biofertilizers. The reported properties include N2 fixation, P solubilization, and production of antibiotics, chitinase, and other hydrolytic enzymes, as well as enhancement of soil porosity". Hydrolytic enzymes aid in the formation of the symbiotic relationship formed by Mycorrhiza and the root structure of the plant.
And Ray's head to head grow out of Snow Pea's (one inoculated with Biota Max and the other with MycoGrow Soluable) proved the value of Paenibacillus polymyxa as the Biota Max plant was noticeably taller then the MycoGrow plant. Ami