View Single Post
Old March 6, 2011   #95
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm really puzzled by the website being after the paper catalog in updates though. I haven't seen the catalog, but if as described by some, no fancy pictures etc, should be simple to copy and paste from one to the other.

The big push is to get the catalog done first and Linda, Glenn's wife, does it all. And that has to be done and the copy sent to the place where it' s printed since as you've seen from the thread it takes several weeks in some cases to get to folks. The catalog was later than usual this year b'c Glenn also had a deadline to meet for a book he'd been asked to write by Storey Publications, about the birdies. And of course Linda had to do all of that as well from what Glenn gave her.

The website is a totally different issue, different software, and Linda does all of that next. And of course any updates can be put at the website.

I've known Glenn and Linda for over 20 years. Not only does Glenn have a full time teaching position teaching science but Linda has to do all the contact info for the bird section and all the driving back and forth to the PO for initial delivery of the bird related stuff which is a huge job as you can see from the number of heirloom poultry that he also deals with.

As Glenn has emphasized, both in the catalog and at the website, their main mission is seed preservation, they aren't a fast food type place.

In the summer Glenn does hire some of his students to help, but once they're back in school he's the one who has to process all the seed himself.

At this time of the year they do hire some local ladies to help out, but Sandhill is the epitome of the small family run company.

Depending on where someone lives it can take up to a week for a letter with the order to get to Calamus and a week back to the sender with the seeds. The intermediate time it takes is dependent on how many orders are in line ahead of someone.

Redfield Beauty is a really good variety. It's supposed to be a selection from the variety Beauty but is a dead ringer for Eva Purple Ball in almost all ways even down to the wee white stippling on the surface and I think you'll enjoy it very much.

With respect to freebie gift seeds that are sent I have the same problem when packing seeds for an SSE request, that is, what do I think this person might like, can they grow this where they are, do I go along with the fact that they requested only red and pink varieties that are large beefsteak ones, or do I send them a cherry I really like and one that's not red or pink. I hope to please with what I send as a gift, but never know how it turns out.