View Single Post
Old March 2, 2011   #29
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Carol, let me make a suggestion.

I don't know why you're using such a large padded mailer unless you're sending maybe 20-30 seed packets.

If you put a customs label on such a large padded mailer it's just going to draw the attention of some customs persons somewhere.

I don't think there's any need at all to attach that green customs label .

Over the years I think I've sent seeds to, well, I can't remember how many countries and have never had anything returned at all.

When it was still possible to send tomato seeds to Australia and I had to send a lot of packs to Patrina for distribution there I did attach the customs label and inside I addressed a letter saying, dear customs persons, and went on to list every single tomato variety I was sending. And never a problem.

The only places right now, as I said above, where you cannot send seeds to are Australia and the Netherlands.

For up to 6 packs of seed just use a small business envelope with the 98 cent stamp and the larger size business envelope with a 98 cent stamp and add another 44 cent stamp or maybe a bit more. I'd have to go to that USPS site I linked to above to see what the additional postage is for letters over one oz, but it isn't much.

And you saw how I padded your seeds when I sent them to you and that works just fine in terms of preventing crushing of seeds in the USPS rollers. I can't remember if you were here when that whole business came up about crushed seeds but I did a wee experiment sending seeds to two folks, padding seeds in one envelope and not in the other to the same person, of the same variety, and no problem with the seeds just padded as I sent to you and others re the seed offer.

The data from that experiment, the germination results, was also posted here at Tville, it was Orange Minsk that I used, but I have no idea where that thread is.

I will not mention the Canadian Postal system, well, I just did.
The size really matters I am from post office asking for my packet thats I buy from seed company and they told the seed still in mailing processing center, when i got there they told me to custom.

Custom said I need to go ask letter from Dept of Agriculture. So I spent 4 hours there and realize I will never get the seed without Vito sanitary, Letter of Agreement from Minister of agriculture and lab test, I had to fulfill it all 14 days which is impossible.

Its made me really disappointed to see thats 28 variety OP variety had to send back or they will destroy it. thinking the seed will burn and imagine what kind fruit its will produce really broken my heart so I decide to send it back. .

Like I said before I got seed from others member and its in small bubble envelope 5x7,5 inch and only hand write. I receive it safely. But today I see thats brown envelope with company logo in the corner and each seed packet individually its look really professional, the size twice the first one.

So sending seed to Indonesia without thats all requirement its consider smuggling except if we smart enough to decoy them.

Does any one has smart way to smuggling seed???? .
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote