View Single Post
Old February 24, 2011   #21
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I'm using burpee seed starting kits that were on clearance at target last year when they were closing the garden section. Not sure what the pellet formula is they use, but it seems to hold moisture a little too well. The stuff looks grainy, with light colored stiff fibers(coir?). My next flat I've put the pellets in a bag, wet them, broken them up, and letting them dry 2 days before putting it in the cells.

I've been trying to look into what to use for transplants, I find where someone's tested multiple different soils, and come up with what looks like a strong recommendation or 2, but then I find something else where the formula has apparently changed, and so what I read about was probably outdated. I have locally, lowes, home depot, walmart. I checked the nearest "nursery" that I thought might have some supplies, looks like they've gone to almost nothing but landscaping. There is one other nursery 30 miles away that I haven't got to yet to see what they have, and I'm sure there are good ones 60 miles away in the Los Angeles area.

Are any of the Miracle grow/Sta-Green/Kellogg/Gardners products I'm seeing locally worth bothering with? They do seem to have peat moss in large or small bags, and small bags of vermiculite and pearlite.

I'm also going to have to figure out what to add to the bare dirt that the plants will eventually go into, anyone have any specific recommendations or warnings on those bagged composts etc?
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote