View Single Post
Old February 9, 2011   #1
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Must-Try OP/Heirloom Variety Suggestions for a Newbie Gardener?

Hey all,

Sorry if this topic is already covered in another thread; I looked and couldn't find it!

Okay, I must say that I'm very new to tomato gardening, and I am completely fascinated at the sheer amount of varieties (esp. heirloom varieties) of tomatoes that are available to the home gardener! I have found it a little overwhelming and very exciting to scour seed catalogs, books, and the internet in an attempt to research what types of tomatoes I want to test out this year. I'm planning on growing a few hybrids, but OP and heirloom tomatoes are what I'm mostly interested in testing out.

So... do y'all have any suggestions on tried & true good performing, good tasting heirlooms that would be good for a beginner to attempt? The climate here gets hot and humid in the summers! I live on a mountain where it's a little cooler than the surounding areas, but I need plants that might grow well here in zone 7.

Thanks in advance. (Oh, and I know opinions vary on whether a tomato tastes good, but I mostly want to make sure the variety has a specific taste--no cardboard tomatoes, please!)
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote