View Single Post
Old February 1, 2011   #10
cloz
Tomatovillian™

My wife makes up a concoction of cayenne pepper raw eggs and I don't know what else that she found on the internet. It doesn't do anything for squirrels but as long as you apply it at least once a week it keeps the deer from devastating our hostas and other flowers. I had not seen a full hosta leaf in years until she started using this concoction. I have to have my garden fenced or the deer will wipe it out. My son left the gate open one afternoon and I looked out to find a big buck chomping on my strawberries and lettuce. (no, he did not have horns in June, but it was a buck)
I used to trellis my cucumbers and pole beans on the fence to save space. The deer thought that was a good idea and ate them all. Everything now has to be inside the fence.
40 years ago, our neighbor had a big male cat who loved to eat squirrels. He kept them completely under control. Took at least one a week. Our cats never bothered the squirrels. The one we have now plays with chipmunks till they have a heart attack. Never eats them or bites them, just plays them to death. Every little bit helps.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote