View Single Post
Old January 6, 2011   #33
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
We are supposed to have a few days of lows in the mid 20's here next week. This would be a great time to gain some knowledge on heating the greenhouse. I plan to buy a heater this weekend and some tarps to close up the ends. I'm going to get an electric heater with a fan. How big of a heater do you guys think I will need to keep it above freezing enough to have my tomato plants in there at mid 20's? I'm not going to put them in there this weekend but I want to see what would happen if I did. I don't want to risk some calamity like popping a circuit breaker in the middle of the night. This will be a test run.
Snappy...

If you go to Lowes they sell a yellow stanley fan forced 1500 watt heater.

That will be more than sufficient for your purposes.

My greenhouse is partitioned off to dimensions about 12 feet by 15 feet approximately.

In a greenhouse that size with one of those yellow fan forced heaters on a 24 degree day my inside the greenhouse temp was 42 degrees.

With a much smaller space your temps will easily be higher on cold nights.

I have a policy... 40 to 45 degrees and under on the forecast and my heater is on.

With one of those heaters any wall socket can give ample electricity without fear of tripping the breaker. If you use an extension cord though make sure it is rated AT LEAST for 12.5 amps and up.
alamo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote