View Single Post
Old December 21, 2010   #20
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
i wont yank it just yet remy as i noticed today that on one of the ends of those long flower stems is what looks like a bulblet coming through like a tree onionso it may not have a flower at all.

Last season within the same seed line, there was one onion that had two large bulblets on the flower head,i planted them just before the winter of which now both at this stage have normal flowers

I thought that onions did actually need insect pollination to produce seed,so want are they, wind pollinated??or
self-pollinated??
Sorry for the confusion on my part. I was in a hurry while baking my cookies and thinking that onions have perfect flowers and they do, but both parts do not work at the same time so they do need insect pollination. So you would still bag those blooms to isolate, but remove the bag in the mornings while in bloom to do the small paint brush/q-tip hand pollination between your two odd plants. This is bit of a pain. Of course if they are making bulbets, the point is moot.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote