View Single Post
Old December 21, 2010   #12
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Yeah - chicken manure is hot too - 12%N . We have a large poultry industry within a couple of hours from here, and they used to give it away but now, with the growing organic industry, they sell it to commercial composters - or so I am told. I haven't used any manure in years - it wouldn't fit into our present operation but maybe we'll have to return to grandpa's days the way things are going :-)

I would imagine they sell the feathers to the composters too. The organic growers I know don't do their own composting anymore. They just call the composter who delivers and spreads it for them - more economical, they tell me.

We used to get used mushroom compost for free from several mushroom farms here in East Texas - very rich in all elements. They can only use the compost once for disease reasons and used to give it away. But now the organic growers have contracted for it - many use it exclusively. It's fantastic stuff - it was smoking and steaming in the truck and would actually burn your hand if you stuck it down in there!

Jack

Jack

Last edited by JackE; December 21, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote