View Single Post
Old December 20, 2010   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a type of what really old people call a walking onion or tree onion or top onion. I have some myself in the garden. They come back every year and the top sets can get bigger in time. Usually the first year you do not have a lot of top sets just the blooms like you have.

As far as I know the walking types started in Canada and became pretty popular in the 1790's.

The reason they are called walking onions is they put on sets at the tops and those eventually get heavy and fall/ lean to the ground where they can make a new walking onion plant. The young green shoots in spring can be used like chives or shallot tops, the top sets can be used to plant more of them or in a few years are the size of and can be used like a pearly onion. The onion part that is in the ground is similar in taste to a shallot. If you pull it up to get those leave some unmolested plants and they will keep growing on there own.

While they sound like they might spread all over your garden thats not true at all, I usually just till around them when I do my normal tilling and they do not spread. So they are pretty easy to keep in one place like the corner of a garden.

Usually I have always seen them planted in clumps and not rows. As far as I know they are not real common and not something you will find in many gardens or at many box stores so I would say find a good home for them and just let em grow, they are very maintainable and require little to no care.

They are also kinda ornamental in a way as well so you couldd always use that as an excuse to grow them in the wife's flowerbed to save garden space lol .

Anyways hope you enjoy them and hope this infor I posted helped
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote