Thread: Tomato Damage
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I'm told snails will damage tomato. Has anyone had this happen?
Yes, I've had snail/slug damage similar to the shallow wounds shown in your photos.

I've also had worm damage with those symptoms, but any type of worm damage will usually have telltale signs of worm 'droppings' if you look closely (usually on the leaves immediately below the affected tomato), especially visible with the larger hornworms.

When I see bird damage, the wounds are deeper, more severe, and have a torn look (like a beak made them) as opposed to the shallow wounds shown in your photos. Although, it's difficult to tell - the wounds could have been made by a bird 'sampling' a green tomato and have since healed over. Also, when any of the other, larger critters are interested in your tomatoes, there usually won't be much left to photograph.

Since snails/slugs can be almost impossible to find during the day, I usually place a small plastic bucket (upside down) or piece of black plastic on the ground at the base of the damaged tomato plant and then check the next morning to see if any snails/slugs are hiding underneath. If so, I bait with an organic snail bait.

-Steve

Last edited by Heritage; December 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote