Thread: Peppadew
View Single Post
Old December 13, 2010   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Huntsman, this is my method of making hot sauce. The straining can be a pain but it removes most of the seed which don't grind up too well and it makes the sauce smoother.

I make a variety of hot sauces. This year I made a Cayenne, Uyababa, Malagueta, and Pappadew hot sauces.
I put on rubber surgical gloves first.

1. Rinse the peppers and clip off the stem ends and place in stainless steel pot.

2. Add a few fresh garlic cloves and cover with white vinegar.

3. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for several hours stirring occasionally. You can stop at this point and keep it like this for weeks until you get enough peppers. Just make sure to bring it to a boil each time you add more peppers and vinegar.

4. Blend peppers and garlic in blender and strain through a stainless steel regular mesh kitchen strainer. Take the pulp which didn't go through the strainer and put it back in the blender with more vinegar and repeat the process. Push the blended pulp through the strainer again with a large spoon and rap the strainer to get the maximum sauce through. Most of what is left in the strainer is just seeds which you don't want so throw it away.

5. Put strained peppers back in boiler on low heat and add sugar and salt to taste. If it is too hot add more vinegar and sugar.

6. I then add some brown sugar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce to taste. The molasses and Worcestershire sauce mellow and help meld the flavors. The sugar cuts the heat and smooths out the vinegary taste.

7. Pour into clean bottles and cap or cork. No need to water bath. Too much vinegar and heat for anything to live in it.

My biggest problem was coming up with enough bottles for the sauce. This year I had to resort to old wine bottles and still ran out so I put the extra in plain jars.

I've been making my own for years and it takes a little practice. The first time is the hardest because you don't have a sense yet of how much of each of the ingredients to use. I'm sorry I have no measurements to help you but I am working with a different amount of peppers with varying degrees of hotness each time and just have to wing it. If you get it way too thin you can blend a little cornstarch into water and add to the heating sauce until you get the desired consistency but be careful because it will get thicker as it cools.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote