View Single Post
Old December 3, 2010   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post

I plant my fall garden in July/August--it's always a challenge to get the timing right.

Carrots (Mokum, Napoli, and Nelson). Eating these now. They got quite large this year--maybe larger than I would have liked, but so far they are still sweet and tender.

Broccoli (Gypsy, Arcadia, Blue Winds, Major, Marathon, and Packman). A really good fall for broccoli. I froze a bunch and we're still eating the ones in the 'frig. I picked the last heads on Nov. 23. Haven't looked at them since the freeze to see if the plants were damaged. I'm hoping to still get some more side shoots. Blue Winds was a new variety for me this year, replacing Dia Green as a smaller, early broccoli. Can't say I was particularly impressed with it.

Brussel Sprouts (Diablo, Oliver, Long Island). Man, I can't grow BS! About one year out of five I get good sprouts. This year I have either no real sprouts forming (one bed) or very loose heads (another bed). At least this year I kept the wild critters away.

I love being able to have a fall garden! There's just enough stuff to keep my interest, but not enough to overwhelm me like during the main season.
Love to garden in the fall, too, Ruth. Have grown all those carrots and found that Nelson is my fav for the spring. Have you tried Bolero for the fall? Its taste seems to get even better with storage.
Gave up on broccoli, but maybe I'll try again next year. Never tried Arcadia or Marathon. So often, spring or fall, they would just button up and wind up being a waste of precious garden space.
Never had a bit of luck with brussel sprouts either! Too bad, as I LOVE them and am afraid to buy them in the store because of all the pesticide residue supposedly found on them. They take forever to grow and have to be sprayed with bt the entire time, too, so it's extra disappointing when you don't get a good return.
All I have left out there is the lettuce, spinach, parsley and cilantro that is under glass in the raised beds, as well as some carrots and beets that need picking before they freeze. Our nights have gone into the mid 20's quite a few times so far already. Dreaming about next year's garden now.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote