View Single Post
Old December 2, 2010   #22
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

We had a very dry and warm fall. First frost on Oct. 28 and first freeze on Nov. 26. I tossed the last of the watermelons on the compost pile last week and still have peppers out in the garage.

I plant my fall garden in July/August--it's always a challenge to get the timing right.

Carrots (Mokum, Napoli, and Nelson). Eating these now. They got quite large this year--maybe larger than I would have liked, but so far they are still sweet and tender.

Broccoli (Gypsy, Arcadia, Blue Winds, Major, Marathon, and Packman). A really good fall for broccoli. I froze a bunch and we're still eating the ones in the 'frig. I picked the last heads on Nov. 23. Haven't looked at them since the freeze to see if the plants were damaged. I'm hoping to still get some more side shoots. Blue Winds was a new variety for me this year, replacing Dia Green as a smaller, early broccoli. Can't say I was particularly impressed with it.

Brussel Sprouts (Diablo, Oliver, Long Island). Man, I can't grow BS! About one year out of five I get good sprouts. This year I have either no real sprouts forming (one bed) or very loose heads (another bed). At least this year I kept the wild critters away.

Collards (Topbunch). Haven't started eating these yet but they did well. Haven't grown them the past two seasons for one reason or the other.

I should have planted some lettuce, but didn't get aroung to it.

I love being able to have a fall garden! There's just enough stuff to keep my interest, but not enough to overwhelm me like during the main season.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote