View Single Post
Old October 14, 2010   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I'd like to come up with something with standard leaves that would resemble a small tree.
Garf, aside from any crosses you might want to make I wanted to comment about heat tolerant tomato varieties.

Several years ago I was communicating with a hybridizer associated with Petoseeds who was stationed in FL. His comment was that it's not just the heat stability of the pollen that's important but also that the high sustained humidity present in many areas of FL that clumps the pollen and makes it far less effective in being able to be shed from the anthers as well as any that are shed being able to fertilize the ovules in the tomato ovary.

So timing of planting for both Spring and Fall crops is really crucial, aside from any so called heat tolerant varities that are touted as such.

As I think you know from the threads at GW as well as here, that Everglades one is nothing special, just a red currant that grows wild down there . Someone named that one Wild Everglades, still makes money off it as you also know, and there plenty of other wild red currants that grow in FL and all along the Gulf Coast down into Mexico b'c it was the Spanish who spread them there as they explored, to them, the new area of what we know as the US.

Somehow I'm not seeing the advantage of a Stick X red currant cross, so how about sharing you thoughts on that one in a bit more detail.