Old August 5, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
Maybe you should have another look tomorrow Carolyn, I can count
exactly 65 diffrent tomato varieties on the site

I know that they have been trading seeds with/donating seeds to the
Danish Seedsavers (Frøsamlerne). And I can see that Adaptive Seeds got some varieties from them.
Yes, if I have time tomorowr I could go back and count, but once I opened the link I knew I'd been there before so kinda scanned quickly.

My problem isn't with the number of varieties presented, my problem is knowing what they mean by adapted to the PNW which is a claim that not even Territoria or Victory Seed or others in the PNW make and is very hard to prove and also wondering about some of the varieties I saw there that as I remember had long DTM's, which isn't what most folks in the PNW grow.

I think the emphasis with the tomatoes was to offer many varieties that aren't well known here in the US. Since there';s no opportunity for feedback on most of them I think if it were me I'd look at the nice lists that Tania and Jeff Casey have at their websites on varieties they recommend for short season growing areas. Just my opinion, but I recognize the goal of many sites to offer the unusual, the rare varieties, and I have no time to see how many of them already are listed in the SSE YEarbook and/or presented at Tania's site.

Of course the PNW is a large area and growing zones vary, but......