View Single Post
Old August 2, 2010   #123
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default TSWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Gill why did you remove the nearly ripe fruit? I just had a hamburger at noon with a tomato off my Cowlick's Brandywine that has had TSWV since early June.
Hi, thanks for your reply. The reason for harvesting the 'nearly ripe' toms was because at the time we thought it may be Septoria Leaf Spot. We planned to spray the plants and as the only effective fungicide we have available in the UK is Dithane we cannot harvest fruit till at least 5 days after spraying.
I thought it may help, once we realised it was TSWV, to remove more fruit to stop them being affected by the virus. It seems that you have found this not to be necessary? After the initial rapid spread of the condition it does seem to have slowed down somewhat. I am hoping that I shall get some more decent fruit.
My debate is what to do next year. I have to admit that a few days ago I felt like giving up completely. I have never had such a bad year for my tomatoes. We had a bad fungal problem in our two small hydroponic systems and had to remove 3 plants.
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote