View Single Post
Old July 8, 2010   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

tom_nj? i know you freeze, you told me how so i'm curious why you chop vs just freeze whole cloves and especially the flavor question.

i'm asking cuz i have dug chamiskuri a few days ago and today i dug korean red so i know karen will be ready to sell garlic soon and i will base my order upon the feed back.

i have found that opening softneck bulbs to plant the cloves reduces the storage of the rest of the clove down to the music level, long but nowhere near a year! karen told me chamiskuri would last in storage close to or a year but apparently not when you open the bulb. i'll either buy those favorites you told me about and freeze them in late fall or buy artichoke varieties for storage but not planting to get the 1 year storage. i'd prefer to grow and plant from my seed but i'd need to grow a LOT of softnecks to get enough seed stock and full term storage too so it seems i may buy some softnecks each year just for their storage UNLESS the freezing does not lose the flavor. if flavor holds in the freezer then i'll just grow harnecks as i always have and freeze some leaving plenty for seed stock and fresh eating too.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote