Thread: Fixing Traits
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2010   #13
VintageNM
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Tom, I truly appreciate your answers. You are one of the reasons I joined TV. Be warned I will pick your brain about SSD in the future!

Johno-

WP X HBPL is the only crossing where I am looking for a particular outcome. I want a larger fuzzy tomato that is meatier and looks more like a real peach with red highlights, the outcome should be interesting. I planned for timing issues already this year by starting seed at 2 week intervals for different plants figuring that one plant of a both varieties would be on near a similar schedule. (Plus I can always save pollen from one or the other and wait!)

The PR X GS I am particularly interested in if I can get a brown sausage with the acidity of the GS for making sauces...but we'll see!

RS X SC I just want to see what kind of F1 these make, should be interesting.

I'll end up doing a lot more crosses than planned, especially since I'm container planting this year and my 30' X 100' plot will be totally ready next year giving me tons of space to grow out F1s. All the late rains and cold weather made it hard to do anything with! Hairy vetch will be my friend this winter!

I'll keep you posted.
VintageNM is offline   Reply With Quote