View Single Post
Old June 16, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So, the reason for this thread is not just to complain, but note that this seems to be a common problem. I see threads here and on other forums all the time complaining about wrong seed. How does this happen so frequently? I know some of you are seed vendors, and I was wondering what quality control you use to prevent this, and why it seems so common?

Yes, it is very common and will continue to be so.

NO company selling OP varieties is immune to this problem.

Seeds offered can be produced by the company, or bought off the shelf from a wholesaler or seed production subcontracted out.

Some companies do one of the above or a combo of the above.

Quality control is a sticky issue. There are several companies that do NO growing at all on their own. They offer seeds received in one of the ways above. So they don't know if there's a problem until a client does what a client should do and that's contct the company to let them know there's a problem.

If a company is doing most of their own seed production, or getting their seed in ANY manner, then it would be optimal for them to grow out one year in advance what they plan to list. But is that reasonable? I don't think so b'c with just minor cross pollination in a seed batch hundreds of plants would have to be grown out to even find those x pollinated seeds.

This I know b'c I've been in that situation, either with seeds I offer in my free seed offer here or even with a few varieties I've listed in the SSE YEarbooks since 1990.

I don't expect ANY company to grow out hundreds of plants to detect minor cross pollination; they couldn't stay in business if they did.

I'm grateful that there are so many smaller family owned seed companies that do make available so many OP varieties. They can't bag blossoms, too many plants to do so and few have the acreage to do geographic isolation.

I understand why you're upset, I really do, but I can't envision a situation where OP seeds for every single variety offered commercially will be pure seed, I just can't.