Thread: Fish Peppers
View Single Post
Old June 20, 2006   #21
travis
Tomatovillian™

ABNORMAL FISH

Chris sent me three Fish pepper pods. I extracted all the seeds and put them in envelopes of 12 seeds each after washing and drying them.

I sent some envelopes out, saved a few, and planted 12 seeds from one envelope. Obviously, the seeds from the individual pods were mixed together in the process.

After growing the 12 seeds (every one germinated), I gave away 8 of the plants. Now I have four Fish pepper plants growing in containers pretty much side by side.

One of these plants is extremely variegated with loads of white spotches, streaks, and some pale green patches. Two of the plants are modestly variegated. These three plants all have typical Fish pepper pods starting to grow ... pointed, but kind of faintly twisted or curved a bit. And the pods show some variegation.

But the fourth plant set pods much earlier and lower on the plant than the three others ... and the pods are longer, a little fatter, very uniform, straight, smooth, and totally green about the color of serranos. They have a distinct point though. I'm absolutely sure this plant came from the Fish seeds because I processed those pods first and planted the seeds first and kept them segregated at my office because that was the one variety I was most interested in growing this summer.

So, I have something here that may not be 100% Fish unless the variety is known for variants.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote