View Single Post
Old April 18, 2010   #33
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
My folks are flagging me down all over town now - in the FOOD LION my butcher squalled, "You growing them maters again? Save me some big uns!". City works guys are circling our cul-de-sac to see when I begin setting up the saw horses (this week but I have to finish moving the pile of pine mulch & hot horse manure to be able to back the boat out of the driveway first LOL) (they were busted out by a co-worker). I have been getting eggs in trade in anticipation of really good slicers (I can do that for sure). We have been contacted by the groups I donated to last year - loved the charitable donation tax deduction for the unpurchased!. Repeat buyers are calling (I tell them to bring their friends) & I am still transplanting but very excited (this year I am setting aside my "picks of the litter" - forgot to do that last year & learned runts do great LOL!
Now thats funny! Folks here have already dubbed me , "The Tomato Man". I should have kept a list of all past visitors! WILL take your cue and set up a table when the fruits come in. I'm sure I could market to restaurants, but that would seem a major hassle in terms of delivery. 40 miles to Atlanta. We have the highest unemployment in the nation here in GA, so I really like the food bank idea, even though I have no need of a tax deduction. Next year, IF I sell plants, it will be far fewer in number. MOST of my seed that is saved I owe to you folks here and other newcomers. On the other hand, re the plants, I have averaged a tidy bit of pocket money that have REALLY helped to extend the budget. If I hired someone, like a young helper to save the back and hips, streamlined the process considerably, and had a greenhouse, this could easily be a very profitable business for someone, but yesterday there was a moment with no ability to move the legs when getting up and that scared the beejeebers out of me. Maybe I can train the fine young man who helped me reorganize everything and is coming back Moinday to spread my straw. He is working towards a degree in horticulture and I would love to help HIM get something started.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote