View Single Post
Old April 2, 2010   #10
Heath
Tomatovillian™

Default Tuber Size

Regarding the size of the spud I somewhat concur with Medbury. I've successfully increased the size of sweet potatoes by using seed potatoes from the healthiest plants each year, though I've not used the largest spuds from said plants each year, only the egg sized ones.

This will be my 4th consecutive year of growing sweet potato spuds from the original spuds purchased four years ago. The size of each generation has somewhat increased each year. The flavor has improved each year as well as the color (their color has gone from a typical store bought yellowish orange to a deep, rich pumpkin orange). Which I’m sure has to do with soil quality, nutrients and condition.

I have not deviated from the location in which they have been grown; I’ve simply maintained the soil and fed/watered the plants. I think I’ve capped on the size though, they are your typical or ideal sized tubers. I plant them in a square formation spaced approx. 24 inches apart.

Last year (2009) we planted 8 seeds in May and harvested in October, the yield was around 30 good sized tubers (the size that would normally be bought at a supermarket), then around 30 medium to small (useless) sized tubers. A portion of the medium sized tubers will be used for “seeds” again this year (2010).

I hope they turn out good!

Last edited by Heath; April 4, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote