View Single Post
Old April 2, 2010   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
the size of the individual potatoes that result should still be driven by genetics and nutrition, not by the planting of a whole large potato.

(I have noticed in the early part of the growing season the whole large potatoes that i had planted are more advanced than the smaller ones that grow in an area that had been the previous seasons main crop area,in this area any green,cut or small spuds are dug under then covered for the winter with compost and are grown for our early eaters,within this area there are still some large potatoes and as much as two months into the season its easy to see those larger ones compered to the smaller potatoes.)

Often, I have seen the bulk of the whole potato simply rot after the plants have formed. Once those individual plants have set forth roots, the original remaining potato would no longer serve a function and lead to rotting and possibly even attracting pests and disease.

(If your soil is in good health this is not an issue.)

Could having the new buds relying upon that original large potato for nutrition even slow the need of the plant to send out roots?

Definitely not
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote