View Single Post
Old March 28, 2010   #7
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for that information. I replied here because this is where I found out about your TPS/Tubers, etc....and believe me, I find this VERY entertaining. My family thinks I am nuts, but I am definitely having fun.

I have reached a point that I am sick of all the "typical" things we find in the produce part of the grocery store. It is all tasteless. I grew up with my father gardening and I wasn't all that interested/impressed. It wasn't until he started gardening again two summers ago that I really paid attention. I started comparing flavors of things and REALLY noticed a difference. Then in typical fashion, I started researching and found that most of what is in the stores has been bred for ease of transportation, lack of damage in transit, etc. etc. I know I am preaching to the choir (lol), but it is what led me to tomatoes and therefore, Tomatoville. This is my second summer season to garden and my very first year growing things from seed and not buying the "typical" hybrids of everything from the big box stores. My garden this year will have NOTHING of the usual run of the mill stuff. My carrots are purple and white, my cucumbers are yellow, and my tomatoes are not red (I think I planted 16 varieties, lost 4 to beginners inexperience. Gave 9 varieties to my dad...getting him away from hybrids as well). AND...one of them is your GREEN ZEBRA. My 11 y.o. son can't wait to taste that one. He keeps asking me if HE can have the first tomato.

AND NOW....I have added your potatoes to my mix. I can't wait because I am positive that the flavor will be much better than those in the supermarket. I am going to try one for now...worried about our Arizona summer...and start one for my father to take to Flagstaff with him for the summer. Save the rest for fall. Now to choose..... Decisions, decisions!

Could you also give me some information of the TPS you sent me?
Gracie"s Harry/John Tom Kaighim
Skagit Valley Gold/Thumbel Nose
French Fingerling/Magic Molly

I've read a little about how to start them (one of your posts, I believe). So, I know I can find that information when I am ready to start. (Just have beginner's nervousness to "not screw it up").

But most importantly....THANK YOU! Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us and thank you for sharing your tubers/seeds. Variety is awesome!

Melissa