View Single Post
Old February 15, 2010   #14
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Gotcha Steve,

We had rhubarb (the same stock) for over 30 years from when I was a kid (or before I was born possibly) and as I recall the best time for harvesting was between mid-summer through early fall. Seems spring it was just starting out with new stalks although we sometimes snapped one or two off. But it really filled out as the summer went on.

I loved it but it was taken for granted most of the time. Usually once or twice a year my mother would make pie or sauce out of it, and probably once or twice a year us kids would fill a baggie full of sugar and dip the rhubarb in the sugar. That was quite a rollercoaster of tastes! hah...

Enjoy your rhubarb. What variety did you buy?
Hi OJB,

I used to eat it as a kid when my grandmother (b. 1888) grew it. She used to make the BEST rhubarb pies (no strawberries or other fillers; she used to cook it down until it was like chunky applesauce; and it seems to me she used molasses or brown sugar along with regular sugar...then she'd sprinkle sugar atop of the crust as well).

I have Victoria - one of the old varieties. I didn't know "how old" it was until I was reading an old gardening magazine from 1848 and saw in the Award of Premiums/Vegetables where the winner was 12 stalks of Victoria Rhubarb; "seedling of 1847 that was superior to any exhibited".

Steve
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote