View Single Post
Old February 14, 2010   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

All of the above! I took my sun-dried tomato's on the road...I gave every restaurant I visited a bag and a jar of them in olive oil. I also had handouts with 25 recipes printed up to give to them and that included a price sheet. I also sent flyer's to restaurants as well.

Make sure you go to restaurants during a slow period of the day...between breakfast and lunch (if they are open for breakfast) or between lunch and dinner.

Take sample tomato's...I would have a small bag with 1 each of maybe 5 of the varieties I was selling to give to each chef. I would also have tomatos I could offer a taste sample from on the spot.

Give a price list and for each variety, a paragraph about the origins/merits/special characteristics of that variety. Highlight how special heirlooms are and the HUGE difference in taste between them and commercial varieties.

I took me two years to develop a clientèle and to really start moving a lot of product. I gave away more than I sold the first year.

As I do not sell "fresh" and my Husband only sells at the Farmer's Market, I may be over-looking something. I know there are several others on this forum that sell directly to Chef's and they can probably give you some more specific advise.