View Single Post
Old February 13, 2010   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I've grown Sprouts for years. I've never had the top go bad. But we have had the stem near ground level turn to mush in a really wet year.

I think the combo of too much rain AND covering them is what did them in. ALL the cole crops will take a whole lot of freezing temps with no problems. We have harvested sprouts after the temps got down under 20* and they were great.

But covering them probably kept them too damp for too long and started the rot.

Carol
I don't think the covering did this because I did it last year and it was not nearly as cold as this year. I think it probably is related to the rain. We have had one torrential downpour after another. I think it may be something similar to those soilborne onion rots that attack the growth areas and happen after heavy rains sometimes.
It's just so weird to see the healthy looking growth tips just wither overnight. It's also very frustrating because it is so hard to make brussell sprouts down here. Some years they do great, but most years they are a problem to grow. Our winters are sometimes too short for the plant to develop any size before spring hits. When spring gets here you don't have long to produce before it just gets too hot.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote