View Single Post
Old February 8, 2010   #14
JulieTA
Tomatovillian™

Hi all ~

I'm a newbie here...but I started selling last year at our FM, and this year I've expanded the biz to e-commerce...a little scary trying to plan all the aspects of shipping, etc., but exciting! Anyway--I start all of my seeds in 128 cell trays, then transplant into Dot Pots (like peat pots but OMRI certified.) I have really limited space and grow 80+ varieties of heirloom tomatoes, plus 30+ heirloom peppers, so the trays are a good option for me. This whole operation is taking place in our downstairs and an 8 x 10 greenhouse...I'm at about 6,000 plants right now, so space is precious!

Anyway--I just wanted to share the great response I get from customers on the organic pots. Obviously, I PR the environmental aspect, but the biggest value is less transplant shock. Typically, the plants at market were at the stage where roots were already growing through the pot, so the customers could see that they were good, strong plants. When I broke down the cost, I was at approx. 7 cents/pot. I use round pots, but they are also available in squares.

Good luck with your growing!
JulieTA is offline   Reply With Quote