View Single Post
Old January 24, 2010   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Maybe in Iowa, they just don't have the seed starting mixes out yet and if you check back in a month or so, they will. Or do you mean this is a regular problem for you in your area?

Pro-Mix is hard for me to find. Home Depot used to carry the compressed bales in my area, but that stopped a couple of years ago. Oh well. Luckily, I got a local nursery to order me a few bales of Pro-Mix BX and that is what I am using this year for seed starting and container growing.

Metro-Mix 360 is another good one for seed starting, but like the Pro-Mix, it may not be so easy to find. You likely won't find it anywhere but at a better nursery in your area, I'm guessing. Box stores don't carry this product.

Jiffy Mix is another one to look for that I've used before. Miracle Gro, but the one labeled "seed starting" only, which you said you can't find so far. Peters makes a good seed starting mix too.

I wouldn't recommend using moisture control formulations of potting mix (or soil) for seed starting because it can increase the chances of damping off. Some use the moisture control, but I say, why take the chance?

Dean, I guess you could also make your own if necessary. Suggested ingredients - peat, perlite, vermiculite and some lime for pH balance.

Or, if you could find something with those ingredients, even if it says "potting mix" instead of seed starting mix, it may work just fine. Just pass on anything that says potting soil for sure.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote