View Single Post
Old January 5, 2010   #37
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I should mention that there are 3 types of Kohlrabi.

1 - the old non-hybrid varieties. You better pick this type small. About tenis ball to baseball (hard ball) size. Otherwise they get woody / stringy.

2 - Hybrid normal types. Winner and Grand Duke are 2 varieties. They will grow fast and can be much larger, more like the grade school softballs before they get a bit woody near the bottom. Even when a bit over sized just cut off the bottom a bit higher up and you still have a lot of good Kohlrabi.

3 - The German "Super Smaltz" types that get huge. A neighbor farmer grows these and they can get to soccer ball size or close. I've seen them as large or larger than a big head of cabbage. They will be tender at that size but take a long growing season.

A lot of farmers still grow the non-hybrids in part because the hybrid seed are significantly more expensive. But they are more than worth it when you are selling them.

A clue to tell if it is going to be tough or tender is to look at the leaf stems on the side of the bulbs. If they look rather close together, on top of each other, it will most likely be tough. If the leaves are spaced far apart, it will be tender.

Carol
The Kohlrabis that i'm growing this season are Early Purple Vienna, but when i did a search on it,i see that White Vienna is also included and thats exactly what i have in the garden ,some white, some purple,cant see if they are a Hybrid or not though
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/ve...bi/earlypurple
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote