View Single Post
Old December 28, 2009   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I think some references have Marglobe as determinate - Victory Seeds [ http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to/tomato.html ], for example.
If so, then a selection for determinate could've been made at the F2
when crossing J.T.D. and Marglobe.

P.S. I've grown a Rutgers that was determinate to the point of almost being a dwarf patio looking thing. The leaves were even puckered but not exactly what I would call rugose, just pillowed a bit, and the plant never got over 30 inches tall before terminating its shoots in flower buds.
I think Marglobe is as bad as Rutgers in terms of data having to do with plant habit.

When I do a Google search on Marglobe I can find some sites saying indet and some saying det.And just as with Rutgers there have been several different versions/selections of Marglobe such as:

Marglobe Improved VF
Marglobe Meaty
Marglobe Select
Marglobe Supreme F
Marglobe White Flowered

So when someone is referring to just Marglobe, are they referring to the original one, one of the selections or whatever?

I'd compare it to the situation where lots of folks grow Brandywine and then ask if they have the Sudduth strain and who knows b'c most seed companies have no idea of what strain they have. With that long listing for Brandywine in the SSE Yearbook for sure there are many who list the Sudduth/Quisenberry strain, without knowing that that's what they grew.