View Single Post
Old December 27, 2009   #8
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Since I don't download the Fedco site would it be possible for you to cut and paste here the description for their Rutger's listing?

When we see that we can try to determine what version of Rutger's they're selling as to them claiming that the taste is better than, well, I don't know what the taste is better than b/c I don't know which of the other Rutgers versions they've grown and tasted all in the same season to make that claim

From the FEDCO Tomato Seed Site:
"4057TO Rutgers Tomato OG (75 days) Open-pollinated. Ind. Two varieties are called Rutgers. We sell the original strain of this famous New Jersey tomato, developed by Campbell’s Soup Co. in 1928 as a cross between Marglobe and JTD. When Rutgers University “refined” the variety in 1943, they took out some of the vininess but also some of the flavor. Our taste tests confirm that the original indeterminate strain is better. Long considered an outstanding slicing, cooking and canning tomato, the medium-sized 5–8 oz. unblemished deep oblate fruits with rich red interior and pleasing texture have that great old-time flavor. Resistant to F1, V1, ASC and GLS. OT-certified. "
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote