View Single Post
Old December 27, 2009   #7
Ross
Tomatovillian™

In 2008, and again in 2009 (from same '08 seed pack), I have grown the Rutgers Select variety with very good success. Abundant fruit, resistant to blemishing of any kind, and a satisfactory taste. They seemed to max-out with fruit size like a baseball.

The hybridization and numerous varieties of tomatoes available can be mind-boggling. In the end, however, it will be one's soil quality and fertility, along with the luck of good weather during the growing season, that will make most any tomato plant productive, tasty and worthy of trying in a subsequent year.

I have my favorites every year as they have proven themselves to be "happy" in the environment here where I grow (6,840 ft. elevation). Likewise, every year I will try for the first time one plant of about 3 or 4 varities new to my garden. It is always a trial-and-error process. Success, occasional failure, and the anxious anticipation to get out there and greet the new gardening year using the memory-bank of past experiences.

Mastering tomatoes.....is only for the skilled, and the patient. Just think of all the friends and neighbors who never seem to "get it".....no matter what we suggest they do to make a difference in their next season.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote