View Single Post
Old December 21, 2009   #48
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

All of my peppers turned out pretty flavorless (cool summer), and carrots don't do well here, so I can't say all my garden grown vegetables taste better than store bought.

For much of the stuff, for me it a matter of degree (good vs better). store bought sweet corn is good, and it might be better fresh out of a garden, but I might not notice if I were given one or the other without being told. Same for things like cucumbers. Some things are very noticable for me...bad (not worth buying) vs really good.

Strawberrys-- Varieties developed for gardens taste much better than "commercial" varieties (developed for size, color, hardness-shipping). If you look up agricultural reviews on strawberry varieties you may be shocked at how honestly they describe the flavor of some of these (much different than descriptions on sites selling them). You may want to do some research before buying strawberry plants because some of the "commercial" varieties are sold in the stores around here (because they are popular with strawberry farmers).

Brussels sprouts--Garden grown Brussels sprouts lack that distinctive (bitter?) taste found in the grocery store. Even though I developed a perverse affinity for that flavor I still prever garden grown. I can see how someone raised on fresh Brussel's sprouts (or any one else for that matter) wouldn't be able to go near ones from the grocery store.

Melons--Like tomatoes it is nearly impossible to find an edible mellon in the grocery store, but from a single hill in my garden I was able to eat a mellon a day for much of the summer and even the poorest quality ones were better than storebought.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote