Thread: yacon
View Single Post
Old December 19, 2009   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
And I thought I knew something about veggies. WHERE does one obtain starter tubers. Read about it on Wiki and it sounds fascinating.
I got mine from another gardener. I think a lot of it gets passed around from one person to another. Each year, after harvesting the edible tubers, you get a lot of (separate) propagules that can be cut into many pieces -- it's not like potatoes or garlic, where you plant the edible part. I'd be happy to share some propagules, but I need to figure out how to send them economically -- probably by parcel post, but then I'd also need to find some small boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Can you describe the taste?
I dug up some of the small plants yesterday and was surprised to get 2 huge tubers, probably over a pound each, as well as a bunch of smaller ones. I tasted the smaller ones -- haven't left them out in the sun to develop more sweetness, so these were not so sweet -- and would describe it as a very crunchy carrotlike taste, with earthiness and a hint of sweetness and a little resinous note. But what really sets them apart is the texture. It's a brittle juicy crunchiness that I love. If the crunchy scale goes from carrots to apples and bosc pears, yacon would be the next step on the scale, and then watermelon (which I don't think of as a crunchy food) would be at the end. It's not as hard and dense as a carrot, and it's juicier than the juiciest crunchy-hard bosc pear, but not a dripping type of juicy, and not as juicy as watermelon. Can't think of anything like it.

I don't know if they like hot and humid.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; December 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote