View Single Post
Old December 16, 2009   #15
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Dumpling is just a creative name for yet another differently shaped Delicata, same stripes, etc., but internally the same as the several Delicata's out there, just much smaller and squatter.

That is what I always thought and tell customers.

I've been growing Delicatas since before they became popular, like over 25 years. And long before there was a squash named "sweet dumpling". We always got a few of the short round squash out of the plantings. I figured that someone just kept selecting for the acorn shape till they had something stable.

The thing about what I now call the "sweet dumpling" class is that while they look like an acorn, they have the smoothness and sweetness of the Delicata and are never stringy or watery like an acorn can be. I call it a "class" because there are quite a few varieties now that are basically the same thing. The Sweet Dumpling, Carnival, Festival and others. Personally I've grown the Festival for years and really love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the SVBs, I grow at least 5 acres of about 10+ winter squash varieties most years and where I am they are never much if any problem. The striped and spotted Cucumber beetle tho is another problem. We've lost hundreds of feet of rows to those buggers. If more than just a couple get on a young just germinated plant they can eat the plant to death. It's a battle most years.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote